The State Department ordered all non-emergency government workers at the American embassy and consulate in Iraq to depart the country.
The announcement was made early Wednesday as tension rises between the U.S. and Iran.
The State Department also said normal visa services have been suspended and warned against any American traveling to Iraq.
The announcement also said the warning comes as the risk for “violence and kidnapping” is too great.
According to the statement, the decision was made because U.S. officials have determined the Iraqi government is not able to provide “routine and emergency services to US citizens” adequately.
@StateDept has ordered the departure of non-emergency USG employees from Iraq, both at the Embassy in Baghdad and Consulate in Erbil. Additional information on this alert can be found on the U.S. Embassy website at U.S. Citizen Services. https://t.co/iX96dAkyhT
— U.S. Embassy Baghdad (@USEmbBaghdad) May 15, 2019
Just last week, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo made a surprise trip to Iraq to discuss safety concerns with Iraqi officials as tension with Iran continues to soar.
The announcement was made just one day after defense officials said the threat risk for U.S. military personnel in the region has spiked.
Earlier this month, the U.S. announced it would deploy an aircraft carrier strike group and B-52 bombers to the region.
Q: “Are you planning to send 120,000 troops to the Middle East in response to Iran?”
President Trump: “I think it’s fake news. Okay? Now, would I do that? Absolutely. But, we have not planned for that. Hopefully we’re not going to have to plan for that.” pic.twitter.com/7lu0uX4U7O
— CSPAN (@cspan) May 14, 2019
Reports surfaced U.S. intelligence officials were worried the Iranians were planning an attack targeting Americans in various locations, one of them possibly being Iraq.